Saturday 15 December 2012

4533502 0N MMGR RECORDS




He went on issuing me item after item and it became a big heap which consisted of nearly 30-35 items namely – green uniforms, green cap, jungle hat, dungaree, socks, PT short, chappal, boots, gum boots, shirts, big haversack, small haversack, belt, sling, shoulders, cane, badge, mess tin, mug, etc. etc. All these items were packed in a wooden box and cotton bag. I returned to the barrack and I was asked to occupy one of the iron cots. Thereafter immediately I was taken to military barber without any delay and my consent he cleaned my head except a tiny hair bunch on or tuft in the middle and top of the head. When tonsure was complete I returned to my barrack again. By the time I made the arrangement of my articles and took bath. I heard the blowing of begule and noticed one thing that the jawans outside of barracks stood wherever they were till the blowing was over.

 After some time a whistle blew loudly intermittently and all jawans (Jawan means  a Soldier)   in my barrack came out quickly. stood in line in the open space in front of the barrack. The Hawaldar ( means  a  Sergeant) shouted – “Attention” – and all stood in the attention position,.

Nobody was speaking and complete calm prevailed. He started calling name after name with number of the jawan. Every jawan responded loudly his presence in attention position. At the last he announced thus – “Raoji Sadashiv Sawdekar joined army as Sepoy and his number is 4533502”.

After distributing the Dak they were ordered to disperse. I was told that it was roll call and it was held daily at a particular time before dinner. In roll call each jawan’s attendance was ensured, next day’s works and duties were announced. After roll call, letters received for jawans were handed over to the concerned jawans.

Langer – common mess for taking meals was nearby. All jawans started going to Langer with mess tin, mug and spoon. I too joined them in line. Food consisted two chapattis, a fistful rice, vegetable and curry of pulses. It was a good dish. Being the first day, first meal and that being so nice, I remembered my mother, her plight, my family members and their condition. I said to myself – “Mother, I know today

you will neither eat nor sleep. I have taken this job to fulfill my ambition. Help me to achieve it”.

There were several barracks in which jawans were staying. Our barrack was quite long and beds were arranged in two rows facing each other. My immediate occupant was Yadav Sakharam Ranshringare from Solapur who had joined much before me. He gave me elementary information. He told –

 “We were in platoon no. 1. There were 52 Sepoys and I was the last. All Sepoys in this platoon were educated. Such was not the case in any other platoon. Our training was to begin within a week. In organizational set up first was Section, then Platoon, then Company which consisted of three Platoons. After Company there were Battalions, Brigade, Regiment and lastly there was Army. The hierarchy was in four categories – Ordinary Ranks - ORs, NCOs (Non Commissioned Officers), JCOs (Junior Commissioned Officers), and COs (Commissioned Officers). Then were Lance Naik, Naik, and Hawaldar, the JCOs or Jamadar, Subhedar and Subhedar Major. 
  
After the JCOs came Commissioned Officers starting from Second Lieutenant then Lieutenant then Captain, Major, Colonel, Brigadier, Major General, Lt. General and then General (Chief of the Army). This camp was known as Koregaon Line. Koregaon was a small village in Pune district where Mahar soldiers fought with British Army against the Peshwa and defeated them. The British government erected a pillar- memorial for the Mahar soldiers in their memory and names of those Mahar soldiers who were killed.  engraved on the memorial pillar, which was our Mahar regiment’s insignia on caps with “Koregaon” letters. The battle was fought some time in 1818. 

Our platoon Hawaldar was Mr. Sonawane. Commanding Officer of the centre was Col. Ghashiram”.

He gave me this information within 4-5 minutes. It was new and strange information. Now I wanted to write a letter to my brother and mother. I just finished one and second was half through. Suddenly barrack lights went off. My friend told that sentry on duty would not allow lights on after 10 PM.


That being my first day and first night I could not sleep. Although all comforts – unknown to me till date – were available for me. Hustle, bustle, noise of walking, preparation etc. etc. made me conscious of

the surroundings. It was 4 AM and all jawans were getting ready for
P.TS. (Physical Training) parade. My friend Ranshringare asked me to get ready before the lance naik section leader – who was called “Ustadji” blew his whistle.

 Now I had become a military jawan from today, always to be called by my army number 4533502!

Total period of our training was six months and trained recruits were required to take oath in the ceremonial parade known as ‘Kasam Parade”.

Routine was extremely rigorous, tough and meticulous. As I stated earlier we would  get  up at 4 AM, align all cots in the barrack, mosquito net to be folded properly in the wooden frames. Every row of cots, chappals, shoes, frames and daris on the cots should exactly be in line of entire barrack. Even a little shift of the line or size of any item meant sure punishment. Then P.T. (physical training) which included various exercises, running, single bar, double bar, balance walk on pole, rope climbing etc. and then a small break for breakfast. Putting uniform for parade, drill without and with rifle and ammunition in pouches.

No comments:

Post a Comment