Wednesday 26 December 2012

NO BARRIERS


I was strolling on the Pune Railway platform and reading the handwritten inland letter again and again. In fact I came about one hour in advance. And to add to my curiosity and anxiety the announcer told the specific train was running late by 30 minutes or so.

While walking across the platform, I suddenly stood near the main gate and a flood of suppressed memories reached out. This was the same exit gate. Outside was same open place. Just adjacent to main ground the same big banyan tree and same circular raised platform around the tree! Surprisingly I saw the same hotel too!

Everything was same; except people moving here and there. Lots of Rickshaws / Autos parked near the station and I was in the different pose; good dress, glowing face, good amount in the pocket and in fact different in every detail.

 Here decades ago, I was in filthy clothes, pale eyes, hungry and considered a beggar boy – when a passenger thrust his holdall in my hands, took me to the hotel and rascal saffron mendicant who threatened me to kill under this tree! I was so much engrossed in past that I did not realize that I was just standing in the middle of the exit gate and obstructing passengers going; when the T.C. asked me to get aside I suddenly looked at the arrived train.

Since I had all the details, I stood near the door of the coach to identify the boy; and when he really stood before me I was astonished! A small child hardly 6-7 years old always playing nearby me asking me all sorts of unanswerable questions, ready to shout and cry on any pretext, lean and thin, good looking and lovable!

 And now before me was a tall, fair, well-built with imposing and impressive personality was Naresh – the son of Subhedar G. L. Pandit – my godfather and guardian when I was in military at Saugar. Naresh respectfully touched my feet and after our few minutes talk; the military truck took him to Armed Forces Medical College (Pune) cantonment. 

Naresh was selected for AFMC(Armed Forces Medical College) and was to stay there in the college hostel till his graduation MBBS, would be over and get commission in the Army. 

Capt. G. L. Pandit had written me letter to look after Naresh. How glad I was to be a local guardian of a known child whose father once was my guardian. And Naresh became our family member though he was staying in AFMC hostel. This was in 1967. It was but natural the beautiful girl would have felt bewildered. As we were informed, she came from highly educated family. Her father was holding a senior officer’s rank in Air Force. Brothers were well placed in forces. Family background was rich. She herself was M.A. and living with the children of officers of forces and in high society. She was newly wed and the groom was a Dr. Captain in Army Medical Core. 

A few years rolled out. We were staying at Mukund Nagar, Pune in ill-famous C.P.W.D. quarters and courtesy Union Housing Ministry; I was compelled to retain my family there and travelling daily between Pune and Bombay in the pass-holder’s compartment like a travel agent.
     
It was Sunday and we as usual were in holiday mood sitting in varandah.

While in Armed Forces Medical College,  Pune Naresh – son of Capt. G. L.  and  now after getting married he had come to complete his M.D. in medicine at the college and as soon as he arrived he came to us with his bride.  And  thus  with  Anu- a  new  member  added  to  our  family  who  has been  caring  us  with  all  respect,  affection  and  care  till date.

When Naresh was in Srinagar on posting we all went there and stayed with them for some days. But after that whenever he was posted at new place we visited them and stayed with them. Nirmala looked after Naresh with great affection and love. NARESH-Anu’s first child whom we called “Tin-Tin”, and so we loved their second child “Gudiya” or Shweta. We joined them at Mathura, Kolkata, Delhi and Hyderabad where Naresh was posted.

They became an inseparable part of our family. We were immensely happy when Capt. G. L. Pandit visited us in Mumbai. He narrated various stories to my children and Nirmala about me when I was in Mahar Regimental Centre, Saugar.

I also shared my experience I had about Ashok, Prabha, Rakesh & Naresh – children of G. L. Pandit and my students at Saugar. Although Prabha is no more but others are holding high position in their respective fields and living at far off distance from my family. But still we maintained mutual affection and respect for each other. It is not a wonder that we two families belong to different castes, religions, states and speak different languages, are in different fields but are bound by one non-material human thread which is now running four generations or more than 50 years.Undoubtedly credit goes to my mentor Capt. G. L. Pandit. We shall always remember his stay with us.(Presently Prabha is no more.) Ashok is Assisstant General Manager,State Bank of India,Naresh is Major General in Army Medical Core and Rakesh is Accounts Officer at the Comptroller and Auditor General's office (but unfortunately Capt.G.L.Pandit and Mrs.Pandit are no more with us.) Birth days of our children from their childhood upto  their  marriages now various ceremonies of our grand children are  invariably  attended by Anu and Naresh,We shall be immensely glad if you would  find a replica like our families elsewhere

No comments:

Post a Comment