Wednesday 26 December 2012

TAHSILDAR - A REVENUE OFFICER


Government of Maharashtra’s order asked me to report to the Commissioner of Aurangabad Division for further placement. During those days post of Tahsildar was considered very covetous, powerful and prestigious. Employees would spend their life’s service career to reach to that position and being the Suprimo of the Taluka, everybody irrespective of age, caste respected him. Also fact was Tahsildar exercised considerably vast powers. It was not an exaggeration but a fact. Another significant side of the post was as Aurangabad was under the erstwhile Nizam of Hyderabad who had given much more authority and powers to the Tahsildar.

Anyway, my family members were jubilant. They were extremely happy. Although my previous post of Preventive Officer was not that insignificant, but it had no identity and recognition particularly in the rural area. As such my family members and my brothers felt special pride in telling others that their bother Raoji – was a Tahsildar, in other words people recognized them as brothers of Tahsildar Saheb!

I reported Commissioner, Aurangabad Division who posted me to Latur, a Taluka town of Osmanabad district of Marathwada region. Marathwada was part of Nizam of Hyderabad and as such   was    much neglected and   remained backward socially, educationally and economically and of course far away from political awareness. Nizam’s administrative and bureaucratic and monarchical grip on public was so hard that could not be loosened or unlocked inspite of the fact that Nizam’s dynastic rule was destroyed by Indian forces soon after Indian Independence .

I was alone. My posting report was already received by Latur Taluka office.

At bus stand there was almost a crowd from Tahsil office came to receive me. A junior revenue inspector had already fixed a rented residence for me where they took me in the office vehicle. I had very small luggage. There was race to appreciate my little household, simple dress and cordial attitude. When we reached our rented house, the landlord rushed to the main door of the house to receive me. He had already cleared my rooms, placed an earthen pot for drinking water and arranged his own 2-3 chairs in the rooms. Already it was a


big house with several rooms. I was told that the landlord belonged to Lingayat – religious creed – who generally were known for their strict orthodoxy. The hustle and bustle of the Tahsil office staff came to look after me. This kept me quite amusing! However the submissive atmosphere was evidence of Nizam’s legacy of bureaucratic fear prevailing in the minds of public and official working.

After some time we went to Tahsil office where I was introduced to my counter part. I observed he was not very happy to meet me. Office staff accompanied by the Tahsildar, I was taken around the building. I was told the building belonged to Kasam Razavi; the ill famous Razakar’s leader who had waged armed war against Government of India on behalf of Nizam of Hyderabad in order to remain an independent Kingdom of Indian Domain. They further narrated the atrocities he had committed on public and had directed his Razakar rebellions from this building. While in school I too had read various stories of Kasam Rizavi’s brutalities, which ultimately were crushed by Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel by sending Indian army in Marathwada.

After the defeat of rebellions, fall of Nizam and full annexation of Hyderabad State with India, staff told me Government of Maharashtra took over the building and Tahsil office of Latur was housed in it. While going around I observed the Tahsildar saying to his staff that now he would be handing over the charge of Tahsil to this Tahsildar of yesterday. Being an old man and human being’s natural reaction I ignored his remarks. In fact they thought me a fresh graduate from the college, newly selected by MPSC, raw and inexperienced person. They obviously were unaware that my bad luck and good luck had already half chiselled and half-baked me for the life.

 I was alone at home but the staff was taking every care. Tea, breakfast, meals etc. were served in time. I thought as I was alone and expecting my family to join me soon, out of consideration the staff was taking my care!

After 3 days Nirmala and my elder brother arrived. I had the advance information. When I went to the bus stand, there were already 3-4 staff members mostly class-IV to receive them. They too had small luggage. When we reached home, there was good ceremonial welcome arranged by the family members of the landlord to receive my family!

Next day in the morning I noticed three peons from our office standing in front of the gate. When I asked them the reason they came early morning, one of them replied that one of them will prepare the food for us, second will bring the required things by my family and the third person would carry my bag (he called it “Daptar”) to the office. My elder brother being an experienced social worker simply looked at me smilingly! Nirmala did not react. But I got angry and said that they were Government employees and not my domestic personal servants and they should only work in the office. Certainly it was unheard, unthought-of, totally unexpected for them who were born, brought up and who served half of their life service in Nizam’s bureaucracy. They, downcast their heads still stood there like statues! Hearing my raised voice our landlord also came out. My elder brother and Nirmala were already witnessing my outburst. Finally I shouted at them saying to get lost immediately. Without uttering a word but quite puzzled they left.

 I finished my meals quickly and reached office. From the looks of working Tahsildar, Naib Tahsildar and Peshkar (Head Clerk), I sensed that something fishy had happened! There was mixed reaction. Peons, clerks, class-IV category staff was happy whereas the staff, which was going to be deprived of these privileges, were pale-faced and unhappy! On the top of it I was going to take charge of Tahsil – sooner or later. Tahsildar meant unquestionable authority in any respects. They saw inevitable coming!                                                  

”Sir, we request you to reconsider your decision. This has been normal and accepted practice since generations in this region. By withdrawing them from officer’s residence we shall be stopping their source of additional earnings which is very necessary for them”. One of the Naib Tahsildar – Kulwant (name changed) who considered himself close to me – talked to me hesitatingly. I did not allow staff to work at my home. Not only that the routine practice of sending peon or revenue inspector in advance to cinema theatre  or   other office including barber’s shop that I was intending to visit also I stopped. Nirmala too refused to accept bagful of raw groundnuts or vegetable brought by generally revenue inspectors!


My elder brother, an extremely honest and committed social worker, observed keenly my working. After few days when he left for village, he said – “Raoji, you have done a right thing! Be firm.”

One day my landlord came to me and wanted to talk to me in confidence. He stood near to me but uttered not a word for minutes! Ultimately I politely asked him to speak! Very unwillingly and hesitatingly he whispered in the lowest tone near to my ears and swiftly went inside the house!

 I got the message. Within next 2-3 days we left his room and shifted to another place. It too was a big house but there were number of tenants. Our neighbour was a Marwadi family.

Because of my refusal to allow staff in our house an underground movement of displeasure towards me already had taken up. Outwardly all talked goody-goody and with official respect but eagerly waiting for my shift.

Once in the office we received a report from our revenue inspector that in a nearby village a woman with her infant was killed in the fire of their own hut. I was going for investigation. After half an hour’s drive two horse riders on the road near a village stopped our jeep. Both the riders quickly got down; taking their horse aside they saluted me and said, “Sir, our Malik (master) requested Tahsildar Saheb to give him an opportunity to serve Saheb tonight. Our master ordered us to pray you to make your night halt at our master’s wada”.

I said, “Let me finish my work, then I shall let you know”.

 “As you wish sir, but we will wait till you return”.

When I returned the same horse riders were found waiting for me. I accompanied them who took me to a sprawling orchard. The Patil was already standing at the main gate to receive me. After salutations etc. I told Patil that my wife was at Latur and would be waiting for me and she has no idea that I would be staying here tonight. Then Patil requested me to give him a note for my wife informing her about my tonight’s halt and the note would be brought back with her signature on it. The garden was huge, full of fruit trees, flower plants and lush green.

There was a small but beautiful farmhouse. Patil gave me new Dhoti (a men’s long cloth ware), shirt, towel etc. requesting me to have bath with well water. Finding no motive attached with these I finished my bath etc. Meanwhile horse riders brought back the note duly endorsed by Nirmala. Patil took me around the orchard showing his new experiments of cross-planting, new variety of fruits with enthusiasm. Patil was nearing his old age but looked perfectly in good health and sound mind. He was the head of the village holding large landed property and hundreds of acres of agricultural farms. After requesting me to taste some fruits he took me to his residence at his village.

From outside his house looked like a huge fortress. A big gate was the only place for entrance. It was a double storied, semi circular building with open space in the middle. When we reached inside, Patil’s wife came with a traditional silver plate. rice grains, kum-kum, and a small lamp with burning wick in it. Mrs. Patil put the kum-kum (red sacred powder) on my forehead and circled the plate around my head, as it is the tradition everywhere in the Hindu families. The person who is received with this ceremony is considered a respectable, highly placed and very important man. After this, Patil showed me entire house. He also clarified that these houses are called “Wada” – and they are so built to provide safety from invading enemies; and I will see such houses in almost all villages of Marathwada, which was under the rule of Nizam of Hyderabad.

 Mrs. Patil served a typical food. Patil told that it was a speciality of Moghul receipes. It had really unique flavour and taste. Needless to say I relished it and felt extremely satisfied. Now it was time to go to bed. Meantime Patil told me that he had seen and lived and served in Nizam’s Kingdom and now recently experiencing winds of free India. He also narrated various stories of atrocities committed on Hindus by Kasam Razavi and his mercenaries during Nizam’s demand for an independent Hyderabad Kingdom. I could see that bed, bed sheets, mosquito net all were newly purchased for me. The fresh air, open space in the middle and beautiful starry sky above, tempted me to sleep there instead in the close room. So I asked Patil whether I could sleep there, he welcomed it.

In the morning I heard some shouting and I got up in the bed. Mr. Patil was shouting at his high pitch voice saying, “You bloody Mahar, now-a-days you people have crossed the limits and are becoming more arrogant. You have forgotten your caste and do not feel ashamed of it. Can’t you see Tahsildar Sab is sleeping here and you are walking past touching his cot!” I immediately understood the cause of his anger and shouting, but I did not react. I allowed Mr. Patil and his wife to extend their hospitability and largesse as generously as much they could do it for me! Since our jeep was to reach at his residence from our office to take me, I had enough time. Mr. Patil narrated me in detail as how they were respected and obeyed by the lower castes people like Mahar, Chambhar, Matang etc. during Nizam’s rule and how they were noticing change in the attitude of these castes after annexation of Hyderabad State with independent India. Mr. Patil missed no minute to abuse Mahar and other lower castes while telling me the prevailing conditions!

Then very humbly and with apology he begged my pardon for Mahar’s behaviour – who he told was his servant. Meantime I noticed our jeep parked at the main gate! While Mr. Patil was repeatedly asking to be excused for any lack in hospitability they extended!

I got up, paid my respects to his wife and proceeded towards jeep. I took a small pause for a minute and coolly but clearly said, “Thank you very much, but Patil Saheb the person you and your family has so generously been entertaining in your Wada, is also a Mahar!”

“What!” he loudly exclaimed but immediately controlled himself and said in broken sentences – “But Sir, you are highly educated. Your living is so clean, you speak pure Marathi and you are a big officer....!” I got in the parked jeep! I saw Patil talking as if to himself almost helplessly and mechanically! My jeep speeded up!

Engrossed in introspection recalling the reading by me of various articles written by Dr. B. R. Ambedkar in his newspaper “Janata”, my interview with chairman of selection board, and my brother’s missionary works, I did not know when I reached home! Driver had opened the door of jeep and stood there by holding it and waiting for my stepping down!

Seeing my pale face, Nirmala asked me whether anything went wrong?

Our surname is “Sawdekar”. In Maharashtra mostly and generally this surname is common only in Brahmin caste. So very few people, obviously only nearer would know that I belonged to Mahar caste – considered as untouchable one or S/C!

Besides what happened in Patil’s house, I told Nirmala the reason why we left the Lingayat’s house – the landlord who whispered in my ears was thus – “Sir, I am so sorry, I understood you are Mahar by caste. Your surname misled me. I don’t like to disclose it. But sooner or later it will be known and it will invite a big trouble for me. Would you kindly leave my house?” Nirmala was stunned and I lost in my retrospective thoughts!

 After a fortnight or so I was transferred to Ausa – another Taluka place not far off from Latur. In view of my attitude in relation with staff’s in-house services I was already a person nongrata in our office. But I had no source to know whether my transfer was done in my interest – as for probationer all facilities or work nature was equally available at Latur too. or engineered!

Since Ausa was quite near I retained our house and family i.e. Nirmala at the earlier place itself and travelled up and down between Latur and my office at Ausa.

Tahsil office at Ausa was located in an old fort built underground. It was really an engineering feat. There were beautiful palaces, huge rooms, cells, wells and small bridge type walls interconnected. The fort was not much visible from above. Most of its portion was submerged in and surrounded by water providing natural cooling. Although most of the buildings were in dilapidated condition, the whole fort looked quite imposing.

 On the very first day I found office emptied at 4 PM. It looked like a deserted place. Except one or two nobody was seen in the office. Next 4-5 days I noticed the same scene repeatedly. Nobody stayed late in the office after 4 PM.

On inquiring very interesting and incredible stories were told to me.

Even while narrating the teller – I found – I was really frightened! Gathered stories were like this – the fort was very old and dynasties ruled from here. Several battles were fought in the fort. Many hundreds had committed suicide and till recent times it had taken place.  During Nizam’s rule many, men, women, children were jailed in the cells and murdered. Several were stabbed to death and now so many unsatisfied souls in the forms of spirits and ghosts made presence as soon as dark started setting. Sounds of swords fighting, screams of dieing persons were heard and if any living person were found there, they were killed and their bodies were thrown in the well waters. Surprisingly the ghost of the same persons appeared daily and they tried to catch hold of their colleagues and friends who in turn were killed and made co-ghosts! Those who were killed in the recent times were occasionally seen! And because of this staff members were leaving the office as early as possible – so far so good!

 Since I had come across similar stories  at MRC Saugar, I was in no mood to believe them. So I gave strict instructions not to leave office before the time. I banged next day those found absent!

Resentment, anger silent non-cooperation and rebelian started underground the fort. I sensed it but ignored. Accustomed to habit, it was psycho fear syndrome, wrongly; rightly or purposely such stories were spread, I had no idea. But at the same time I accepted no excuses or ghost-fear stories from them and ordered to stick up to the office timings.

I added another problem for me and difficulty for staff. When I came to know that some staff members were collecting money from farmers in the name of God and Goddesses fairs while distributing Taquavi (Government Financial help). I stopped it immediately. In fact this stoppage of their income worked as highly inflammable fuel for their discontent and displeasure. But unfortunately for me and fortunately for staff my drive died quickly.

After office I used to go back to Latur where we had retained our rented house.

Within that week I received a letter redirected from Bombay. It was from UPSC, New Delhi asking me to appear for the interview of Programme Executive’s post in All India Radio.We both discussed its pros and cons, its repercussions on my career and our future children. I was in dilemma of whether to go or not to go!

 This was the second call letter from UPSC for the same post! How?

When in Bombay I had appeared for the written examination held for the post of programme executives. I passed it and in the due course of time UPSC sent me its interview letter. I purchased a ticket for myself for Delhi and went to Bombay Central with Nirmala and my second elder brother Raghunath. I got in the train at Bombay Central. Nirmala and my brother Raghunath were standing on the platform and talking to me through window. After some time whistle blew and train started moving slowly. Nirmala and Raghunath were waving. Suddenly I got up from my seat, lifted my holdall and threw it out from the door. In a fraction of second I too jumped on the platform from the moving train! Before Nirmala and Raghunath could reach to me train had left the platform. Nirmala was in tears and Raghunath baffled! There was reason to have Nirmala in tears! I had declined RBI’s appointment, besides Auditor’s job or Preventive Officer’s post, which I had already left and now my refusal to appear for Programme Executive’s post meant I was to remain jobless!

But meantime I got Tahsildar’s post (revenue officer) and future took the shape! Now UPSC had clearly written in the call letter that second opportunity was given to me and no more would be given. In fact as I had not attended it I had already forgotten it.

There are certain sayings permanently stuck in my mind. Premchand, a well-known Hindi novelist – in one of his novels – projected a blind character named “Surdas”. He says, “Anhoni Kabhi Nahi Hogi, Aur Honi Hokar Rahegi” means (also explained in preceding page)  certain events are avoidable. They will not take place. And there are also certain events which will take place come what may. So what is destined will happen. I decided to go. But why and how we both left Latur with our bag and baggage cannot be explained.

I left Nirmala at her sister’s care and I left for Delhi saying that if they did not select me I shall change my opinion about their capabilities. No doubt over-confidence amounting to megalomaniac!

I attended the interview without fear and doubt and returned Bombay. I did not go back to Ausa. I received letter and message from Collector, Osmanabad and also Government Revenue Department asking me to report for duty! But I did not join! I sent a letter to my elder brother detailing reasons about my declining to join Ausa.

And within a fortnight or so I received UPSC letter informing me that I was selected for the post of Programme Executive, All India Radio!

Order of posting followed the UPSC’s intimation, from the Director General, All India Radio, Broadcasting House, New Delhi asking me to report to the Station Director, All India Radio, Pune.

Probably my elder brother Gunaji was the happiest person on my selection and posting in All India Radio as he himself had seen the office atmosphere, social conditions vis-à-vis our caste and backwardness of the region where I was supposed to work and live throughout my life!

Here I ended another chapter of my life,

No comments:

Post a Comment