Wednesday 26 December 2012

MADHUKAR RAO & INDUTAI


Next Sunday I went to Laxmipura and found out Mahila Vidyalaya and the Principal Mr. Madhukarrao Shrikhande. As he was taking some extra classes, I stood waiting. I was in mufti dress so I had no difficulty there. When he came out, I met him and explained my military life, family background and my keen interest in pursuing my education. The principal listened but did not respond. He offered me water, left the room and returned with a lady and said, “Sawdekar, this is madam Hardikar (real name). She is a teacher of our school. She will give you all required information, guidance and also teach you at her residence and you can attend classes of 9th, 10th and 11th standards in our school along with girl students. Whenever it suited you, and whenever possible come to our residence in Subhedar Wada!” The old adage – “The blind man asked for one eye and God gave him two!” Overwhelmed with joy I left their office quickly.

Next day when I went to teach the children, I told Jamadar G. L. Pandit about the Mahila Vidyalaya and the Principal Shrikhande’s assurance of help in detail. For a moment JCO Pandit could not believe it and expressed his surprise saying "how principal would allow you to sit in the class of girls and that too of girl’s high school, it being exclusively for girls!" Any way, I had no answers except principal’s words!

To attend regular classes    at  Mahila Vidyalaya was out of question. I had some time on Sundays provided I was not put on duty and on Sundays school was closed except extra classes. In short I had to depend on my own efforts. One day again I explained my problem to Jamadar G. L. Pandit who assured me saying he would find some way out. A month passed but there was no word from Jamadar Pandit. My hopes dimmed.

My regular participation in inter company debate competitions, winning it which raised company’s prestige, publication of my stories and poems in Army’s publication “Sainik Samachar Patra” besides my efforts to appear for matric made me quite popular in our centre and in all the ranks making me “Respectable Jawan”. In general, during those days in Mahar Regiment, educated jawans were very few. The trend of joining military of educated probably started from our platoon. Our Platoon Hawaldar Naik and Lance Naik were always telling us this fact.As such appearing short stories, poems of a Mahar Jawan in the prestigious Army Magazine was being considered a matter of pride by all ranks in all the Mahar Battalions. In fact I was not blotted by this popularity. I was concerned as to how I would equip educationally enough myself and become a big man and still not knowing its exact meaning!

 I was (over) ambitious and probably over ambitions make man immune to sensitivity.

When J.C.O.Pandit called me in his office, my mind was full of doubts. He said, “Subhedar Major Dilbag Singh Sahab has permitted you to attend extra classes in the city on Sundays and daily after the game periods. You will go in Mufti but attend all other duties. No other concession will be given to you. I have also spoken to your Platoon Hawaldar and JCO, Mr. T. M. Kharat. I have requested them not to pressurize you if you are absent for roll call some times”.

Mr.Pandit got my road cleared, difficulties solved and doubts rested. In the evening Subhedar Major Dilbag Singh put his hand on my back and said, “Now concentrate on your study”. That time his two children, daughter and son and I simply discussed about my classes.

Next day after game period I rushed to Subhedar Wada in Laxmipura. I had no conveyance and there was no public transport linked between army camp and the city area. I walked the distance as fast as I could. Subhedar Wada was a huge fortress like house. It was a palace of a Maratha noble of city. Saugar was under the dominance of Peshwa – Maratha rulers. That was the reason Maratha families from Maharashtra – Madhya Pradesh migrated to Saugar during Peshwa Rule and settled there permanently.

Huge gates, decorated artistically with bronze plates, balconies in old architectural style, steep and high steps! I went to the second floor. I realized that the Wada had retained its glory outwardly! Real glamour and glory must have gone with the bye gone Subhedars or noble of yesteryears of the Wada. 



As Mr. Madhukarrao Shrikhande saw me in the door, he held my hand and took inside. A woman came from inside putting a glass of water.
asked “Wash the face and feet in the bathroom”. Mr. Shrikhande did not introduce me to the woman. Then she took me in another room and asked to sit. Already there were four children. 2 women and an old middle aged man. They were sitting in a row! The woman put a wooden square small size plank before me. Food was served. Nobody was speaking anything except the serving woman intermittently. She would say me, “Don’t feel shy! Eat properly and eat everything”.

Dinner was over and the children dispersed. Then Mr. Madhukarrao said, “He is my elder brother, Chintamanrao. He is also a teacher in our school. She is his wife and she is our mother and our children. The woman who is serving is my wife. Today is our fast. Now sit and feel comfortable”. Shrikhande family was staying in Subhedar Wada as tenants.

Senior Shrikhande gave me some books and told that I need not purchase any books. When I told about my spare time availability, he said, “No problem. Mr. Hardikar will teach you whenever you are free”. Within no time all the family members made me feel that they knew me since long and I felt that as if I was one of their family members! On the very first day, in first meeting, no acquaintances, dinner, homeliness, casual, normal affection and mute assurance for future help! It was unbelievable!

Shrikhande family became my family in civil life in Saugar city. Mrs. Indumati (real name) Shrikhande gave me motherly as well as sisterly love while both the brothers helped me in every respect. When problem arose to forward my examination form as a private student, Mr. Madhukarrao Shrikhande directed me to meet Principal of Saugar Govt. High School who was a lady and her name too was Shrikhande! Mr. Shrikhande was not in position to forward my form as his school was exclusively for girls.


On his advice I met Principal Mrs. Shrikhande who not only took the responsibility to forward my examination form to Madhya Pradesh Board but also asked me to come to her residence, which was in Laxmipura itself in case I had any difficulty. Her son and daughter senior to me gave me model question and answers. The Principal also told me to attend the classes in her school!

 I had already become regular visiting student of Miss Hardikar at her residence in Laxmipura known as Hardikar Wada. Her teaching method was simple and easily understandable. I was the only male student with all other girl students at her residential class. No other male student was allowed. Thus, so far my examination formalities were concerned principal took the responsibility. As far as preparation for my examination was concerned Shrikhande brothers and Miss Hardikar were teaching and guiding me regularly. So far military was concerned Subhedar Major Dilbag Singh, Jamadar Pandit and MRC Commanding Officer Col. Ghashiram extended me their blessings! At the same time it increased my responsibility, answerability and it put me on my toes and feet.

I had to attend morning physical training (P.T.), perform all weaponry exercises, discharge quarter guard, night patrolling duties etc; take classes of jawans and as soon as it was over I had to run literally to the city for tuition. Thus invariably I missed my lunch of the Lungar. Laxmipura was far away from our military camp. I had no conveyance. Time available to study was too short and during night 10 PM was the limit. No sentry on duty including myself would allow to keep the barrack light on beyond 10PM!

But my ambition was the real lights. No difficulty could deter me! My examination was over and I succeeded crossing the hurdles, I passed the 11th class from Madhya Pradesh Board of Secondary School Certificate Examination in second division! It was 1956.

My joy did not remain limited to me. It became the centre’s joy. It became almost a public property. I went to all officers mentioned above and paid my grateful respect. The news was also conveyed to Commanding Officer Col. Ghashiram by Subhedar Major Dilbag Singh, as jawan going to C.O. directly was not in conformity with the military discipline. Needless to write all felt extremely happy. Shrikhande family, Principal Mrs. Shrikhande and Miss Hardikar had special reason to be happy, as I was their student-product! All appreciated my efforts with blessings. Mrs. Indutai gave me sweets and celebrated my success of examination by hosting a family dinner, My close friend Yadav Ranshringare distributed sweets in our school and Adam Company.



 In military, to study it was an unthinkable matter. But the help, guidance and blessings of all these kind-hearted people made that impossible dream a possible reality! I shot a letter to my brother and conveyed the news and I asked him to tell our mother that I have fulfilled my promise given to her from the moving train at the hostel. In fact my mother left the hostel work within a month after my joining military.

Joy subsided. Fatigued body got relaxed and mind released its tension. I got engaged in military activities. But soon mind started troubling me and asking, “So what next now?”

Reading books was my addiction. In other words I was really a voracious reader. After S.S.C. result I got breathing time and Centre"s library was my treasure. It was my way of reading that I used to finish all books, creations of a specific writer at one stretch. Almost all books of Ravindranath Tagore, Bankimchandra Chattopadheya, Sharadchandra and Premchand. I read out such creations of many other writers during this period. Besides works of Hindi writrers like Dinkar, Phanishwar Renu, Prabhakar Machve, Nirala, Sumitra Nandan Pant, Mahadevi Verma etc. etc. I being much inclined towards spiritualism I went through   many books of Gorkhpur’s Geeta Press. I made revisions of book “Atmanand” (self Bliss) and “Jeevan ke Das Bhed” (10 secrets of life),  Tulsidas – a blind man character  in  one  of the  novels of  famous  PREMCHAND says, “Honi hokar rahegi Anhoni kabhi nahi hogi” i.e. evitable will not happen and inevitable will happen – made permanent prints on my mind, but it could not make me ‘determinist’.

As it was compulsory for military jawan to avail casual leave of 10 days and 2 months annual leave and since I had leave and there was no concrete decision about my further education, I went on two months leave. In fact I was so impatient to tell about my matriculation and other related stories personally to my mother, brother and others, I arrived my village without giving any advance information.

Everyone in the family was extremely glad. I did not notice any old usual problem of food. All told me that the way I have been sending money, it worked very well.



It was my practice to give sweets, clothes and small amount to neighbors. I used to give meals prepared by mother to my all old classmates and friends at our house. During leave period there was always a big gathering in our house and string of various visitors who were from all castes and localities. I used to encourage young boys of our community to join Mahar Regiment by narrating Regiment’s history, Mahar soldiers’ bravery in world war, Indo-Pak war and how Hawaldar Rau Kamble (real name) continued machine gun firing keeping his thumb on its stud despite his head was cut by the enemy in the Pakistan war, importance of machine gun, and how Mahar soldiers fought and defeated Peshwa at Koregaon.

Besides I used to narrate them about the present opportunities for them in Mahar Regiment! But the fact was the listeners were too young to join military. However the stories would keep them enchanted. I told them the Martial song of the Mahar Regiment, which was composed by Regiment’s C.O. Col. Ghashiram. The song showed connection of the Mahars with the great King Shivaji and the bravery of the Mahar race. The beginning stanzas ran like this - “Veer Shivaji ke Balak Hum, Hain Mahar sainik Hum Hum Hum” – loosely translated it was like this – “We (Mahars) are the children of the brave Shivaji and like him we are the brave mahar soldiers”. When I sang this martial song in its actual tune and in full, the young boys and all present there felt as if they were themselves brave soldiers. My mother would always sit beside me. She knew little what I passed or told to the boys but was immensely happy to see that I studied further and most importantly although in military I was alive! Raghunath loved me so much. He had sacrificed his education for me.

As usual my elder brother i.e. Dada was always on tours with his troupe spreading Dr. Ambedkar’s message to our community people in our district.

No comments:

Post a Comment