Wednesday 26 December 2012

OUR WEDLOCK


One day I received a letter from my brother that they have arranged my marriage and they wanted my approval and as such asked me to come to our native place and see the would-be-bridegroom. I was surprised and it became a matter of joke in our hostel. However I went, saw the girl, gave my consent and I got married with Narmada – my wife’s name from her parent side – on 13th June 1962 at Khamgaon. My friend Y. S. Ranshringare came from military especially to attend our marriage.

On stage of our marriage a small but significant incident took place.

When we were sitting in the chair a prominent politician of our area took the mike and started a political speech criticizing a particular political group of Republican Party of India - RPI. I at once took the mike from him asked the speaker to stop his speech saying that it was my marriage and not a political stage.

Fact was after the death of Dr. Ambedkar his party RPI was divided. My brother belonged to one group and the speaker belonged to the opposition group. My father in law also belonged to that group and initially there was some hesitation from their family about our alliance. Any way the function and ceremony was over and after 7 days I joined my classes at Allahabad. My marriage was viewed with curiosity by my hostel mates and they expressed their friendly fear that it would affect my studies adversely, but I argued that marriage had nothing to do with studies.

UPSC’s civil services examination was over and the professors really thought it as a missionary dedication. Fortunately I was declared successful for central services. After getting special counselling for interview technique, all returned to their respective places. I came to Mumbai and Nirmala (we changed my wife’s name from Narmada to Nirmala after marriage) joined me from Khamgaon. We stayed at her sister’s residence who was married to Mr. Krishnarao Sawdekar from our village. It was a very brief stay.

I received a letter from UPSC about my interview, which was to be held at Pune. Wrangler Mr. Mahajani, very well known mathematician and reputed person, was the chairman of the selection committee.

I attended the interview. I was interviewed for about 45 minutes. After introduction and preliminary interview it took serious turn. It ran rough as below –

Q: “Do you think Dr. Ambedkar’s conversion to Buddhism with scheduled caste people in Maharashtra would bring any change in their social life?”

A: “Yes Sir, because in Buddhism there is no caste system. Caste system is invariably associated with a sense of touchability and untouchability which is only in Hindu”.

Q: “But do you not think that with the spread of education the practice of untouchability would be eliminated?”

 A: “No sir, if education would serve as cure for its elimination, then Brahmins have been most educated but they only were instrumental to retain the caste system and untouchability. Besides Sir, I am not that bad looking. I am also educated. My caste is not indicated on my forehead. And if I am selected and seek an accommodation in Sadashiv Peth, which is nearly 100% dominated by Brahmins, shall I get it?”

Chairman: “I do not think there would be any difficulty”.

I: “I am sorry! Sir, you need to know Indian social system more closely”.

Q: “What do you think remedy for its eradication?”

A: “Sir, my answer to this is that at all Taluka, District, State level and National levels there should be courts only to deal with these cases. In all courts majority judges should belong to S/C community only. Appeals to regular High Courts and Supreme Courts should be open. But if the person/s found guilty they should publicly  be flogged (in square on road) or hanged depending on the gravity of the case which will serve as deterrent to the prospective offenders”.

Chairman: “It is horrible; you are going to hold a responsible post. What will happen if person like you is selected?”

 “Thank you, Sir. I do not regret. I was suggesting a legal procedure”.

I came out with understanding that I would not be selected. But while leaving the place I just briefed my friends waiting to be interviewed, the trend of questions for S/C candidates and warned not to react as I did!

I returned Bombay and joined Pay and Accounts Department as an auditor of Government of Maharashtra. I was aware that I was working there as stop-gap-arrangement till I received my result.

After some days my brother sent me a letter informing me that police had come to our house at our village to verify my antecedents as they told to my brother that I was selected for I.P.S. But afterwards  nothing was heard. Obviously either my Balapur speech or Shindkhed case might have gone against me.

It was hardly four – five months. I received a letter from Allahabad Institute asking me to join it for refresher’s training to appear for the examinations again. I left the job, kept Nirmala at our native place and joined the center.

This time I was put up in Chattam line. From my old batch mates very few failed. Majorities were selected for various services like I.F.S., I.A.S., I.P.S. and other central services. I came to know their respective appointments in the institute. Some of them were my close friends. Bala, Santoshi, Uday Singh, Charan Singh were selected for I.F.S., A. W. Ao was selected for I.A.S., Hardas for I.P.S., and many others were selected for significant positions.

After refresher’s course I again appeared for the examinations.

Now in Bombay, I attempted Officers’ Grade Examination for RBI (Reserve Bank of India), Maharashtra Public Services Examination, Preventive Officers’ Examination Customs and UPSC Examination for the post of Programme Executive in All India Radio. In fact my friends and batch mate A. W. Ao had forced me to send the application for AIR post and he had paid the fees for that. In due course of time and with some interval I could clear all these examinations.


I was interviewed by Reserve Bank of India (RBI). Although I received appointment order, I declined to join. Again I got their letter and I did not know why I did not respond to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment