Saturday 15 December 2012

HAPLESS SCHOOLING



Now in our community I assumed a special status. People were anxious to know much about Mumbai and also my adventure. Everybody appreciated my courage especially when I did it at that age. Most surprising matter for me was the letter, which I had sent from Mumbai in my newly evolved script to my friend and classmate Kashiram was very much received by him, and he had deciphered its contents. Not only this, Kashiram told me that our teacher made some inquiries about the script. That time Dak (Letters) of the village was being received by the head master of the school and also postal work was being carried out by him. So naturally when such unusually scripted letters were received and that too by a student, it attracted their attention. Besides other things, I had requested Kashiram not to tell about my exact address in the family. But since all had left our village, question of informing did not arise!

 In fact every member of my family was keen to see me in high school, Dada (we all called my elder brother Gunaji as Dada) gathered some information and one day took me to Khamgaon and put me in a hostel run by one Mr. Khanderao (real name) who too knew my brother. for our community students. Then he sought my admission in 8th standard in A.V. School. Initially it being August end the class-teacher was unwilling to admit me as students would not cope up with the study due to delayed admission which affected their percentage performance adversely. But Mr. Dani (real name) the principal asked the teacher to admit me. My brother left for village the z  same evening.

Hostel was neither a boarding nor lodging. The hostel was a small hut with mud thatched small walls and the caretaker of the hostel was staying in it with his family. There were five students including me, all from my village. We were sleeping in the open space in front of the hut. It was just on the edge of the city gutter and foul smell was prevailing all around us and mosquitoes were in abundance.

But Mr. Khanderao was a nice person. He too was a follower of Dr. B. R. Ambedkar and totally socially committed person. He too was a poor man. One evening he said to us, “Listen boys, I know I can not give anything to you. Babasaheb tells us to study at all cost. Boys cannot study after 7th standard like you, as there are no high schools and they

cannot come to town due to their parent’s poor condition. So I started
this hostel where at least you people could stay and study. To provide
 you food will depend on the donation I receive. But boys, you must study”.

He was honest and candid. He would ask us to go to market on Thursday, the city’s weekly bazaar day to collect donations, which ranged from vegetables to grains to money to clothes. The material thus collected in fact was very little but was used by his family and us
too.

 All other students left the hostel except me. I had no alternative. My health deteriorated.

My class-teacher Mr. Anekar, a Brahmin was very kind to me. My way of studying was typical. Once read, I could narrate its contents including its page numbers without referring to books. Although I was admitted quite late in the class, I was good in study. My teacher Mr. Anekar had asked me about my family background like all other class students.

My essays were different. Probably my views on the subject were different. He circulated my two essays – one on ‘Rainy Season’ and other on ‘To See’. They were circulated not only in my class but in other classes also.

On ‘Rains’ I had written. Rains gave life to every living animal. It gave life to inanimate also. But more rains brought wet drought also. It devastated huts of poor people also. It devastated crops which resulted scarcity of food for people leading hunger and starvation.

On ‘Seeing’ I said  that all living beings were having eyes to see. All human beings used them. But only Lord Buddha had the true eyes! Only he could understand true meaning of old age, death and sufferings. People had been seeing these things daily but none reacted as Lord Buddha. But after ‘seeing’ such incidents people only cried, wept or felt sorry or so. But none sat and pondered to end these sufferings. Lord Buddha did this etc.



 To sum up it created a lot affection for me in my teachers. He would give me one or two annas. But it did not affect my hostel life. It became bad to worse. Mr. Khanderao was also involved in social activities.

 One day my brother came along with my mother and asked me to leave the hostel. He informed Mr. Khanderao's family members and he took us to Wadi, a small village about three miles from city and on Khamgaon-Jalumb railway line. All steam engine trains running between Jalamb and Khamgaon stopped there because there was provision to fill water in the engine.

One of our distant relatives gave us a hut. My mother would go for agricultural work and I attended my classes at A.V. school going by walk alongside the railway track. Whatever she earned by way of daily meagre wages, she was managing our expenses. But frequency of days without food reduced to quite some extent, although it was not over altogether. My class-teacher Mr. Anekar was very considerate and did not scold or punish me whenever I was late or absent. In fact beside Sundays and holidays I had to go some times for work with my mother on other days also. Days and nights rolled like that. We were only two in that hut. My mother would rarely talk except on the days I work. She would hold my palms and say how tender they were but doing so hard jobs. And then she would say – “But my son! You must study”. This she would repeat very often. But when I used to look at her face, wrinkled hands, old saree, no bangles, lean and thin body, it pained me immensely. And I would cry alone in the night.

Exams were over and I was through. When I told it to my mother, she hurriedly went to our neighbour came back and  asking me to open my mouth, she put a small piece of jaggary in it. That was how she expressed her happiness on my passing the examination. People of Wadi went quite often to our village. So we conveyed my success to my family members also.

Now my brother wanted to admit me in a government high school. He came to Wadi and took me to the 9th class teacher of the government school. He asked us to pay 12 annas (a quarter of a Rupee) as admission fee and as we had no money, he advised us to meet the principal. Mr. Dixit (real name), a Brahmin principal. He listened to my brother and my fee was waived off.  I was admitted in 9th standard of the government high school, Khamgaon. A Great step forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment