Saturday 15 December 2012

MOTHER, MY ILLITERATE TEACHER



Incidently one Mr. Sukhdevrao Banduji Jadhav (real name), asocial worker from our community started a new lodging and boarding for the students of scheduled castes, just a few yards away from the government high school on payment basis. The monthly fee was Rs. 8/- and of course it was beyond our reach.

 One day my brother came, discussed something with Jadhav and came to us at Wadi. He asked our mother whether she would agree to prepare meals for the students for his hostel, maintain it and do any job connected with hostel. In return we both i.e. my mother and I would get free food and free staying in the hostel. As it was in my interest, she kept mum for a short time but asked my brother, “Guna” – she used to call him by that name – “would Raoji be benefited by this arrangement?” After getting assurance, without a word we shifted from Wadi to Sukhdevrao Jadhav’s hostel.
A new chapter opened in my life. Although step-by-step but pangs of starvation were getting diminished!

My mother would prepare food twice a day i.e. once in the morning and second in the night. There were about twelve students belonging to our caste.

Now for us there was no agricultural hard work or digging ditches or stone crushing work. There was no worry to have a morsel and there was no fearful silence that would normally prevail every day in our family, though not for my mother and me but not so in our family at our village.

Hostel was a big hut, neat and clean. There was spacious ground in front of it. There was a proper compound and gate. A Brahmin family by name Borvankar was our neighbour. We were interacting without hesitation. All students were sleeping in one big hut type room where we were taking our meals and studying.

 As hostel was stone’s throw away from our high school, there was no
walking a long distance in all seasons. as it was earlier for me at  village Wadi, So now our life became tolerable.



Gradually but surely a problem started cropping up. My mental tranquility began to disturb. My mother meant an embodiment of love, affection, and compassion for everybody. As she looked after me so everyone alike and all students respected her.

She would get up early in the morning, sweep hostel compound, clean utensils, prepare meals, serve to all students daily. The whole work would go beyond 12 at night and again she would wake up early in the morning next day. It was a running cycle, which never halted. Some times I saw her sitting in the night and when touched her head or hands I found her in high temperature. But she never complained. She never asked for any medicine or help. In house also I never heard her calling a bad word for or about anybody. She would suffer but would not utter a word. She was always a mute sufferer, an embodiment of endurance, tolerance and patience. But I was observing excessive work was telling on her health. If I said something she simply, gently and slowly would put her wrinkled hand on my back and say, “Don’t worry my son, everything is OK. Nothing is wrong with me. Look! I will not die so soon. I want to see you a big man”.

My words in her mouth! My ambition in her mind!

Although not with any wrong intention, when there was some delay for meals due to illness or work the students would grumble and that would pierce my mind like a knife-cut.

 As I said earlier that arrangement had solved our food problem but there was no proper saree (a long cloth for women to wear) for my mother nor even additional just one more blouse. There was nothing to put on during winter season. So was the case with me. I too had only one old shirt and pant. Literally true, we both would wash our clothes in the night time. My mother would cover herself with some hostel bed sheet and used to cover myself with the towel so that we would have clean clothes during daytime. Just because we were getting only free food in the hostel, there was no other source of earning. To get any money from family was unthinkable. Whenever my brother visited, he
would tell us about their condition. I thought how long this would continue and how long my mother would work and suffer? Who would
redress her silent pains, sufferings and mute humiliation? And from where my family will get help? For whom my mother and my family had


been doing this? All questions and answers thereof indicated at me. It was I and only I. I was for me and for me! I would become restless, sleepless and would search sources to get out of this condition. Days and nights passed. School going became endless a reflex and aimless movement for me.

I read some news item from the day’s newspaper from our neighbour. They were very nice to me and especially the old man in the family was very eager to teach me Sanskrit language when he found my interest about that language.

 I hurriedly finished my morning essentials and sat with my mother nearby for nearly for half an hour telling her about my future place of education, job, money vis-à-vis her comfortable life and our family’s welfare. While narrating, my voice chocked and I began to sob. In fact I myself totally was unaware of it. I was telling her about some nonexistent and unattainable land of paradise where I was to get all that I was narrating her. Not understanding a single word about it, my mother as usual said – “Don’t worry my son, do it. Everything would be alright”. And she put her trembling hand on my head. She blessed me for my dreams and began to weep.

I quickly stood up and asked Ram (name changed) to hurry up. He too accompanied me. While going, I narrated him my first attempt at Taj Mahal Hotel, Gateway of India, Mumbai office. Recruiting officer of military rejected me because I was underweight and underage to join military as a Sepoy (soldier).

The recruiting officer had come to recruit, enlist young boys at SDO’s office Khamgaon. The brief note about the recruitment time, office address etc was given in the newspaper. Government was deputing R.O.S. at various cities to recruit the young boys in the military and no strict rules were applied.

In spite of that response for military recruitment was very poor. I ate bananas as much as I could so that my weight would reach at the required level. I did it.

We both stood in the queue. Military doctors examined. Mr. R.O. asked me to run for 3-4 minutes. He asked me some questions and asked me
to sit and wait. My heartbeats increased and ambiguity of result had engulfed my mind because of Mumbai experience I was terribly upset.

No comments:

Post a Comment